Connors Bros. Nature Preserve at Pea Point – Charlotte County
Blacks Harbour, Charlotte County
The Connors Bros. Nature Preserve at Point Pea is located on Wallace Cove Road in Blacks Harbour, next to the Grand Manan Ferry terminal within the Fundy Coast Eco-district. The preserve covers 43 hectares (roughly 100 acres) with 2 km of coastline.
Pea Island was purchased from a Mr. Bennett for $75 in the late 19th century for the purposes of erecting a lighthouse. An additional five acres on the tip of the peninsula was purchased for $150 to allow the lighthouse keeper to raise farm produce to support himself and his family aside from his wages. The lighthouse was lit for the first time on January 1, 1878. It was roughly 183 meters long and 7 meters high, situated just offshore from the southern tip of Blacks Harbour Peninsula. John H. Harding, a marine agent from Saint John, expressed the importance of the location of the lighthouse saying that, because of the regular use of the nearby harbour, two lighthouses (Bliss Island Lighthouse and Pea Island) were necessary. In 1900, the keeper was issued a hand foghorn to be used when fog signals of vessels where heard in the vicinity. A more powerful signal was added in 1929. The lighthouse was manned by nine different keepers from 1877 to 1967. Today, the building still stands and provides a continuous white light to aid ships in the harbour.
The ecological diversity and significance of this property is linked to the Fundy tides. The large volume of water passing through the narrow passages in and out of the Bay produce upwellings that move nutrients and organic materials that can support high concentrations of the plankton that many birds and marine mammals feed on. Pea Point is a migratory stopover site for the eastern population of the harlequin duck, a species at risk. The nearby Machias Seal Island is one of the few known nesting spots for the Arctic tern and supports the largest Atlantic puffin colony in the Maritimes. The Quoddy Region has been proposed as a Marine Protected Area because of the large congregation of birds and marine mammals.
Access and Activities
Connors Bros. Nature Preserve at Pea Point can be accessed off Wallace Cove Road in Blacks Harbour, NB. While the lighthouse grounds are open and accessible to the public, the lighthouse tower is closed. Please note that tides of the Bay of Fundy are high and quick. If you decide to visit the Pea Point Island, do so with caution.
View or navigate to this preserve via Google Maps.
Click the map below for more detail.