Communications Coordinator – Nature Trust of New Brunswick
Hiring Organization: Nature Trust of New Brunswick
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Start Date: As soon as possible
About the Nature Trust of New Brunswick: Established in 1987, the Nature Trust of New Brunswick is a charitable land conservation organization that is responsible for conserving over 7000 acres (2800 hectares) in more than 50 beautiful and diverse nature preserves throughout the province. For more information, please visit http://www.naturetrust.nb.ca/.
Position overview: The main role of the Communications Coordinator is to manage all communications, public relations, design, and marketing activities. This position is highly important to the Nature Trust, as they are primarily responsible for communicating the organization’s mission, vision and values to internal and external audiences. The Communications Coordinator is also responsible for managing and/or supporting several outreach and education projects. The Communications Coordinator is supervised by the Executive Director and the Communications Committee, facilitating 3-4 committee meetings per year.
- Develop and distribute media advisories and media releases for conservation announcements, projects, and other newsworthy events/activities.
- Coordinate media requests and facilitating interviews for staff and board members, as well as performing media interviews, as required.
- Develop positive relationships with print and online media outlets locally, regionally, and provincially and maintain media contact database
- Monitoring and tracking media coverage, compiling media scrapbook, and filing digitally on database.
Social media / online communications:
- Plan, develop, and schedule original, interesting, and relevant messages for various social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, to communicate mission and mandate to the public, as well as inform them about projects, activities, and events.
- Update visual appearance of social media channels, as needed.
- Plan, develop, and distribute monthly electronic newsletter, as well as update electronic mailing list on a regular basis.
- Update website, using WordPress content management system.
- Observe social media trends and make recommendations for new opportunities for the Nature Trust, as needed.
Written communication, design and branding:
- Ensure the Nature Trust brand is represented properly in all communications and outreach materials.
- Design and develop informational and promotional materials such as banners, posters, signs, brochures, fact sheets, t-shirts, and publications.
- Ensures that all donors, funders and sponsors are acknowledged in appropriate media
- Develop, design, and oversee printing for print newsletter ‘Refuge’ and Annual Report
- Plan committee meetings, prepare agendas, and record meeting minutes.
- Prepare reports for the committee to update the Board of Directors on communications activities.
- Support fundraising, stewardship, and other events, as needed, including planning and promotion of events.
- Manage various education, outreach, and fundraising projects, including the annual fundraiser.
- Supervise interns and volunteers.
- Support the Executive Director, administration, stewardship, and conservation departments, as needed.
- Represent and promote Nature Trust at events, such as fairs and trade shows, as opportunities arise.
- Work closely with Engagement Organizer to advance, apply and evaluate communication tools and their reach to clients.
Required skills, education, and relevant experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing or equivalent.
- Strong interest in and passion for environmental conservation.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and desktop publishing software (Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator), proficient in Salesforce is an asset.
- Experience working in a non-profit setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Comfortable in leadership position and experience with public speaking.
- Independent and self-motivated.
- Resourceful and diplomatic.
- Detail-oriented, with strong proofreading abilities.
- Strong research skills.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with ability to multitask.
- Team player who works well with others and has the ability to develop and maintain positive partnerships.
The Communications Coordinator can expect a fast-paced work environment with the need to manage several projects and/or duties at once. Some travel is necessary during special events. The Communications Coordinator must be willing to work on weekends at times.
To apply, send your cover letter and resumé to email@example.com by January 11, 2017 at 5 pm (AST).